The Second Commandment in the bible
(KJV) Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image.
This is the second commandment given by God to the people of Israel. The first and second command are almost same, about idol worshipping. The second commandment is written in the book of (Exodus 20:4, 5) which says “you (Israelis) must not make any idols. And don’t make any statues or pictures of anything up in the sky of anything on the earth or of anything which is down in the water. Don’t worship or serve idols of any kind, because I am your Lord God Almighty. I hate my people worshipping other gods. People who sin against me become my enemies, and I will punish them. For I will punish their children, their grandchildren, and even their great- grandchildren“.
The God Has No Shape
(Deuteronomy 4:15-18) “On the day the Lord God (Almighty) spoke to you from the fire at Mount Horeb, you did not see him (Moses) – there was no shape for God. So be careful! Don’t sin and destroy yourselves by making false gods or statues in the shape of any kind of living thing. Don’t make an idol that looks like a man or a woman, or like animals on the earth, or like a bird that flies in the sky. And don’t make an idol that looks like anything that crawls (reptiles) on the ground or like a fish in the sea.
Verses For the second commandment in the Old Testament
- (Deuteronomy 5:8) “You must not make any idols. Or make any statues or pictures of anything up in the sky or of anything on the earth or of the thing down in the water.
- (2 Corinthians 10:7) “You must look at the facts before you. If you fell sure you belong to Christ, and you must remember that we belong to Christ the same as you do.
- (1 John 5:21) “So, dear children, keep yourselves away from the false gods (made by human).”
- (Psalms 115:4-8) “The “gods” of those nations are only statues that some people have made from gold and silver. Those statues have mouths, but cannot talk. They have eyes, but cannot see. They have ears, but can’t hear. They have feet, but cannot walk. No sounds come from their throats. The people who make and trust in those statues (made by humans) will become like them!
- (Jeremiah 10:3-5) “The culture of the people are worth nothing. Their idols are nothing more than wood from the forest. Their idols are made by workers with chief chisels. They make their idols beautiful using silver and gold. They use hammers and nails to fasten their idols down as they will not fall over. The idols of the other (different) nations are like a scarecrow in a cucumber fields. They cannot walk. And cannot talk, and the people must be carrying them. So don’t be afraid of their idols. They cannot hurt you and can’t even help you either.”
- (Exodus 34:17) says, “Don’t make idols.
- (Leviticus 19:4) states that “Do not worship idols. Do not make statues of gods for yourselves (Israelis). I am the Lord your God.
- (Isaiah 42:8, 17) “I am Yahweh. That is my name. I will not give my glory to other Gods. I will not let statue take the praise that should be mine. But some of them have left me (lord). They say to their gold statues, ‘you are my gods.’ They trust the false gods (Demi-Gods), but they will be disappointed and shamed.”
- (Isaiah 45:16) “Many people make false gods, but each and every one of them will be disappointed. All of them will go away ashamed.”
- (Isaiah 46:5-8) “I am the Lord, the only God. There is no other God (Lord) except me. I put your clothes on you, but still you don’t know me. I am doing this so that everyone will know that I am the only God. From the direction of east to the west people will know that I am the Lord and that there is no other God. I made the light and the darkness. And I am one who brings peace, and I cause trouble. I, the Lord, do all these things. May the clouds in the skies above drop goodness on the earth like showers of rain. May the earth open and let salvation grow. And may victory grow with it! I, the Lord, created him.”
God do not like his people to worship other gods
- (Ezekiel 8:10) “So I went in and looked. And I saw the statues of all kinds of reptiles and animals that you hate to think about. The statues were such the filthy idols that the people of Israel worshipped. There were pictures of all those animals carve all around on each every wall!
The Second Commandment in the New Testament
- (Acts 17:29) “That’s right. We all come from the God. So you (people) must not think that God is like something people imagine or make. He is not made of gold, silver, and stone. In the past, people did not understand the Almighty God, and he overlooked this. But now he is telling everyone in the world to change and turn to him.”
- (Acts 19:26-35) “But look at what this man Paul is doing. Listen to what he is saying. He has convicted many people in Ephesus and all over Asia (continent) to change their religion. He says the gods that are made by the people using their hand are not real. I’m afraid this is going to turn people our business. But there is also another problem. Those people will begin to think that the temple of the Great goddess Artemis was not important. Her greatness will surely be destroyed. And Artemis is the goddess that everyone in Asia and the whole world worships.”
- (Romans 1:23) states that “Instead of honoring the divine greatness of God, the one who lives forever, they traded it for the worship of idols – things are made to look like humans, who get sick and die, or like the birds, animals, and snakes.”
- (Revelation 9:20) states that “The other people (not Israelis) on earth were not killed by these plagues. But these people still didn’t change their hearts and turn away from worshipping the things they had made with their own hands. But they did not stop worshiping demons and idols made from silver, bronze, gold stone and wood – things that cannot see or walk and hear.”
- (Revelation 13:14, 15) do says, “This second beast fooled the people who were living on earth by using the miracles that he had been given the power to do for the first beast. And He ordered people to make an idol to honor the first beast, one that was wounded by the sword but didn’t die. The second beast was given the power to give life to the idols of the first beast. Then that idol could speak and order all those who did not worship it to be killed.
Punishment for idol worshipers
- (Revelation 14:11) predicts that “And the smoke from their burning pain will rise forever and ever. And there will be no rest, whether it’s day or night, for those who worship the beast and its idol or who wear the mark of its name (beast).”
- (Revelation 16:2) predicts that “The first angel left. Then that Angel poured out his bowl on the land. All those who had the mark of the beast and those who worshipped its idol got such scores that were ugly and painful.”