This is the fifth commandment in the bible. Honor thy father and thy mother. (Exodus 20:12) “You must honor and respect your father and as well as your mother. Do this so that you will have a full life in the land that the Lord your God gives you.”
God has many blessings with the fifth commandment and one of which is longer life and other is provide them with all the earthly things too.
(KJV) Honor thy father and thy mother.
Long life blessing
- (Deuteronomy 5:16) “You must honor your father and mother. This what The Lord God Almighty has commanded you to do this (honor your parents). If you follow this command, you will live a long life, and everything will go well for you in the land that the Lord your God gives you.”
Also, read How to live a long life according to the bible.
Bible commands to teach your children the laws
- (Proverbs 22:6) Says “Teach your children in such a way that fits their needs, and so that even when they are old, they will not leave the path which goes to righteousness.”
- (Proverbs 4:1-6) commands the Children, to listen what their father’s teaches them. Pay attention and you will learn. The advice I give is good, so don’t ever forget what I am teaching you. When I was my father’s little boy and my mother’s dear‘s son, my father taught me this: pay attention to what I say to you. Obey my commands and you will have a good life. Try to get wisdom and understanding as well. Don’t forget my teaching or ignore what I say. Don’t turn away from wisdom, and she will for sure protect you. Love her, and she will keep you safe.”
- (Proverbs 19:26) also says, “And the persons who would steal from their own father and chase away their mother are disgusting and shameful.”
Must not curse your father or mother
- (Leviticus 20:9) states that “Whoever curses their father or their mother (he or she) must be put to death. If they curse their father or mother, they are responsible for their death.”
Fifth Commandment in the New Testament
The fifth commandment teaches the same in the New Testament what Old Testament says.
- (Matthew 15:4) “God commands, you must respect your father and mother as well. And God also said, whoever says anything bad to their (parents) father or mother must be killed.”
- (Matthew 19:19) also says that “You must respect parents and love your neighbor the way you love yourself.”
- (Ephesians 6:2- 3) The Fifth commandment in this verse also teaches that “You must respect your father and the mother. That is the first command that has a fulfilling promise with it. That promise is: then all the things will go well with you, and you will have a long and blessed life on the earth.”